Czeching in: Adventures of a girl in Prague

Sometimes you just need to explore. I will be doing just that this summer, in a place that I have never been--Europe. Homebase? Prague. Besides doing a small survey of Bohemia and Moravia in the beautiful Czech Republic. I will hit up Berlin, Vienna, and all over Italy--who knows... I could end up anywhere.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Dogs.



The Czech love their hounds.

I see them large and small, leashed or free, and attached to the rich or poor. They are fairly prevelant throughout the city, even more so in the wide open parks. Outside the Tesco, there is a plaza filled with people from all sorts of interesting backgrounds... (i am trying to be nice here. Think black clothing, a limited inventory of teeth, and permanent skin doodling) who often have dogs. They either have puppies or dogs with strange muzles that look like they're from a horror film. Everybody...and anybody..can own a dog.

But the city gets a little P.O.'d by one by-product of this love...

Poop.

As a matter of fact, the cost of licensing went from 1000Kc to 1550Kc (approx. 45-70 US Dollars) a couple years ago to fund a scooping effort. It is rumored that the scooping occurs via vacuum mounted mopeds--but I haven't yet seen one.

As with many other Czech signage, the icons created for their poop bag and poop bins throughout the city are especially hilarious. I think I may put some in the subdivision when I get home--I look like a tool picking up Midas's "leftovers" in a Kroger bag. Next time I'll doggy bag it--Czech style.





(If you haven't noticed---you'll have to wait on the language orientation. Life gets a bit busy for essays.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't fall in love with a European dog. German Shepherds, Irish Setters and French Poodles aren't really all they're cracked up to be. My relatives are from Great Britain and Scotland, that should do it for you. Besides, I have the largest tongue....and I miss you.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.--The computer left my name off my message.

MIDAS

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Czech your shoes after walking in the park. Are any of the dogs called "Bad?" as in "Bad Czech! Baaad!"?

Will run out of Czech puns soon.
Helpfully, Auntie R.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Otis and Midas say 70$ is a little cheap for picking up after us seeing Aunt Kathy picks up after Jeff all day long for free. What!! 1100 pubs, Hey I wonder if they know about the Purple clock or Louie the laker.Ha, Ha , Glad your there in one piece...Jeff (In Detroit}

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter